Hey Melbourne parents! School holidays are fast approaching and there’s so much going on, it’ll be hard for any of us to be bored! Have you visited Sovereign Hill before?
You can read about our last visit right here!!
Whether you’re a seasoned visitor or a Ballarat Gold Fields virgin, you’ll want to get all over their Easter Holiday fun!
We’ve been informed that the blacksmith needs a new apprentice, there are animals to be fed and Brown’s Confectionery Manufactory have lollies that can’t make themselves! You and the children better rush up there and get to work!
This Easter holidays, between Sat 6th April and Mon 22nd April, Sovereign Hill are exploring the working life of the goldfields. Relive history and discover the lost trades with a range of exclusive workshops and free events that will transport you and the kids back to the busy goldfields of Ballarat. Genuinely a fascinating day out for all ages!
Here is a list of the fun you and the gang can get involved in:
- Pour your own Candle: Become a candlemaker at Hewett’s Candle Works and learn how to make your very own candle. Hear about the secrets of good candle making, and let Sovereign Hill’s experienced candlemakers guide you through the process. You get to take a candle home too!!
- Make your own rope: Using traditional methods, try making a rope, and then see if you can turn your rope into quoits. Will you beat Sovereign Hill’s champions at a game? We hope so!!
- Become a Blacksmith: Join Sovereign Hill’s talented Blacksmiths and try your hand at forging. You’ll all be taken through the basics of blacksmithing and learn about the history of this trade on the Ballarat goldfields. A great story to take back to school after the holidays!
- Where did photography come from? Come and see a ‘camera obscura’ and learn how the romance with the captured image began. Sovereign Hill’s photographers will give you an enlightening insight into how images were created and how cameras evolved over time. This is a mind blowing for the modern day child!
- Sweet Experience: Brown’s Confectionery Factory is hiring! You’ll have to get your uniforms on and help Sovereign Hill make some butterscotch lollies. Smell, touch, and roll your own lollies while learning about the sweet treats of the goldfields.
- Spokes and Wheels: Watch the talented wheelwrights machine and assemble the components of a wooden wheel using the latest in 1800s wheel making technology. Then try finishing your own spoke with hand held tools.
- Belt making: Back in the 1800s, everything was made by hand and even the simplest piece of clothing had a story to tell. Go back in time and join Sovereign Hill to craft your own belt using traditional methods at Sovereign Hill’s leather harness workshop.
See, we told you… there’s no way you’re going to find yourselves at a loose end this Easter! More fun to come in the next few days!! Keep it here!