Get excited Dog Lovers as the southern hemisphere’s largest doggy-dedicated event returns to Sydney this upcoming weekend (Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th August) at the Sydney Showground.
One of the pandemic’s surprise legacies has been the unprecedented surge in pet ownership, soaring more than 60% since 2019. In terms of paws on the floor, an estimated 30.4 million furry friends are currently keeping owners company across the country, including one million new dogs welcomed into Aussie homes in the last two years*.
With so many new pet owners across the country, the return of the award-winning Dog Lovers Show to Sydney Showground this winter – headlined by Australia’s beloved TV vet Dr Chris Brown – couldn’t be better timed.
“Anyone who loves dogs deeply and wants to better understand their pets will be rewarded by attending the Sydney Dog Lovers Show this August. The timing is perfect to provide thousands of ‘pandemic pet parents’ with trusted, reliable information from the country’s most trusted pet experts. Many new dog owners had been thinking of welcoming a new pup and the pandemic gave them the time to be actively present at home to ‘on-board’ the pooch they have dreamed of for so long.” Show Founder and CEO, Jason Humphris
Over one jam-packed weekend, you can meet and interact with over 800 beautiful dogs, representing more than 100 breeds. (That’s a lotta doggies) The Show’s iconic program has been re-invigorated to cater for a new wave of new dog owners with essential tips on training, nutrition, separation anxiety, puppy proofing, canine mental health and overall wellbeing.
For the first time since 2018, Dr Chris Brown will return to the Sydney Dog Lovers Show presenting inspirational and educational talks twice daily. Joining Dr Chris Brown in his Sydney hometown is iconic TV vet, Dr Katrina Warren, who will be presenting live demonstrations in the Vitapet Arena with animal training extraordinaire Kelly Gill and The Wonderdogs – who are set to ast-hound onlookers with a slew of new tricks. Crowds will also be wowed by the new ‘K9 Ninja Championships‘ show which will see dogs work their way through a wild obstacle course hosted by Big Brother star, Dave Graham.
So what’s on at the show?
- Over 30 free educational talks will be hosted each day across the PETstock Stage and PETspot Ask-The-Breeder Stage, by some of Australia’s leading dog and animal experts including Lara Shannon and Rose Horton.
- Some of the nation’s biggest canine social media stars will strut their stuff on the PETstock Stage red carpet, while the NSW Police Force Dog and Mounted Command present an awe-inspiring live demonstration each day.
- Outside, the crowd-favourite Black Hawk DockDogs will make a splash with Big Air, Extreme Vertical and Speed Retrieval competitions as a team of talented canines launch themselves off a raised dock and into a 100,000-litre pool.
- Meanwhile, the remarkable pups at Australian Working Dog Rescue will soar to new heights in the Extreme High Jump competition and herd real-life sheep in the Sheepdog Speed Trials.
- Visitors keen to take a break from all the action can unwind in the Pet House Pat A-Pooch Zone, providing a safe and comfortable space to get up close and ‘pawsonal’ with dogs of all shapes and sizes.
- Budding pet owners can meet dozens of pups looking for fur-ever homes in the PETstock Adoption Zone, with an A-Z of breeds to explore throughout the massive PETspot Breed Showcase.
- From dog-friendly clothing to puppy retreats and bespoke kennels, Australia’s biggest canine supermarket will boast stacks of new products and exclusive show specials. Those looking to strengthen their paw-renting knowledge will also have access to the country’s leading emergency vets and nurses at the SASH stand, offering tips for raising happy and healthy pets.
- Future fur-parents can discover the best breed to suit their home and lifestyle in the Bow Wow Meow Perfect Match Zone with dozens of giant Breed Information Posters and a free ‘K9 matching’ survey.
- Kids can channel their favourite breed in the Animal Welfare League’s new Kids Zone with Free Doggy Face Painting and the chance to snap show memories in the new Glitter Selfie Wall.